The simplest steps to install Skype on Chromebook are here!
If you were fretting over not being able to use Skype on your Chromebook, you’ve got reasons to rejoice now! All the hindrances that were earlier preventing you from installing this application on your Chromebook aren’t available anymore. So, now you can go ahead and use your favorite video-chatting software to connect to your friends and family on your very own Chromebook!
Those of you who have been using it after installing Linux on your device or you’ve totally given up on being able to use Skype at all, here’s what you need to do. Follow the steps highlighted below:
- Find out the processor that’s installed in your Chromebook. This can help you find and download the compatible files that you will need to run Skype. To do it:
o Open the Chrome browser.
o Click on the Menu button, located in the top right hand side.
o Click on Settings and hit the About Chrome OS option.
o Scroll down to the Version number that states if it is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Depending on the installed processor, download the relevant ARChon Runtime zip file.
- Follow it by also downloading the Skype APK file.
- On Google, locate the latest Skype edition.
- Unzip the downloaded files to start the process:
o Open the Files app.
o Double-click on the ARChon zip file.
o Right-click on it and copy the file and paste it in your Downloads folder.
o Follow the same process with the Skype APK file.
This will complete the extraction of the two files and now that both the files have been saved in your Downloads folder, you can start to install them.
- Open the Chrome browser.
- Go to the Menu option and click on More Tools (scroll to the bottom).
- Select the Extensions option.
- Check the Developer mode option in the top right-hand corner.
- Click on the ‘Load unpacked extension’ option and you’re nearly done.
- Unpack both the downloaded files here one after the other.
Once this is over, access the Apps Tray and you should be able to see the Skype icon there. Run the app to get started. This may take a few minutes. Once that’s done, you can start video chatting with your friends…
Wasn’t that really simple? Don’t miss to share with us your experience of installing Skype on Chromebook.